Sunday, August 28, 2011

Welcome

After having moved to Berkeley this month, I realized that I needed a way to keep everyone back home informed about what I'm doing and learning.  I was speaking with another seminarian and he recommended writing a blog.  This is my attempt at doing just that.  I hope that through this blog, I will be able to show you all a glimpse of what life is like for me at CDSP, Church Divinity School of the Pacific.

The first issue was trying to figure out what to call the blog.  The other seminarian's blog was entitled, festinalente, which translates to "make haste slowly".   I thought that was a great title but it was taken so I searched for something with meaning and came up with mine, which is a quote from Cicero. It translates to "not for ourselves alone are we born."  I believe it fits with my sense of a call.

I have been here for just over 5 days and have gotten settled in.  My room is complete for the most part.  I am living in a 9' x 13' "dorm" room with a bathroom down the hall.  It is not your typical dorm though as the residents range in age from their twenties to their fifties and sixties.

Tomorrow morning I begin orientation and will have a better idea of my class schedule.  I know a few people have asked for my reading list so I will make sure I post a sample of the books.

Peace,

Jay










No comments:

Post a Comment