Thursday, September 8, 2011

Come Holy Spirit, Come!

This evening was the Opening Convocation, or "The Holy Spirit Eucharist"  at CDSP.  According to the service bulletin, "The Holy Spirit Eucharist at CDSP is our annual communal service asking for the guidance and "infusion" of the Holy Spirit on the academic year.  This is an adaptation of the medieval university tradition of asking for the spirit's guidance on the academic year that lives on in the "red mass" tradition in many law and medical schools, for the beginning of the new legal year in Washington, D.C. as well as throughout Europe."

Linda Clader, the academic dean, gave the sermon and it was definitely fitting.  In it, she asked whether we really knew what we were asking for?  Do we really want to invite the Holy Spirit into our midst?  As Linda put it, you never really know what the Holy Spirit will do.  In fact, she even referenced Psalm 139, when the writer asks in verse 7, "Where can I go from your spirit?  Or where can I flee from your presence?"  She inferred that even the psalmist needed to get away from the Spirit and here we were inviting the Spirit in.

As I reflect on my own journey and the path I am on today, I see how the Spirit has guided me on so many different paths, each time joining with someone else's journey, where we walked together until our path's diverged.  My paths have crossed other's many times so far in my life, and for that I am eternally grateful.  Some of my closest friends walked with me on some very rocky paths, while others have walked through the meadows with me.  As the first week at seminary is coming to a close, I am at the beginning of a new path on my journey.  Where this path is headed or with whom my path will cross, I don't know, but I do know that I am standing here this evening saying,

"Come Holy Spirit, Come"

Peace,

Jay










1 comment: