Saturday, October 29, 2011

Touring San Francisco

I am writing this tonight with the windows open while listening to a Primus concert at the Greek Ampitheater over at Cal Berkeley.  I had tried to read my history of Christianity reading by Pelagius and Augustine of Hippo but the music and the cheering are too loud to concentrate.

If you are suffering with snow, rain, wind and or loss of power and heat, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.  One of the benefits of living in the bay area is that the temperature here is pretty mellow.  Today was a bright sunny day with the temperature in the mid-seventies.

I decided before reading week began that I was going to work hard the beginning of the week in order that I could take a day at the end of the week and be a "tourist."  I have lived in the shadow of the golden gate bridge for over two months and have never really explored San Francisco other than going into the city for church, after which we immediately leave and come back to Berkeley.  Yesterday, Cathalena, another first year student, and I decided to go into the city for the afternoon.  So we hopped in the car and drove over to San Francisco, had lunch at Fisherman's Wharf, walked to Ghirardelli Square, drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, drove down Lombard Street, and visited Sausalito, a small picturesque town on the North Bay and then drove through Japantown on our way home.  All in all it was a great day of exploring parts of San Francisco that we had never seen or visited before.

The seals of Pier 39

Sourdough bread ready for the holiday

Fisherman's wharf sign

Streetcar's waiting for passenger's

San Francisco Bay, notice the swimmer's



Looking to Ghirardelli Square


Top of Lombard St

Starting down Lombard






Looking up Lombard St from the bottom









Sausalito, CA

Golden Gate Bridge looking toward San Francisco

The Pacific Ocean outside of San Francisco Bay




We started walking across the bridge but
this was as far as I could get because the walkway
bounces so much that my fear of heights
took over

No comments:

Post a Comment